Monday, November 19, 2012

Nice to MEAT you.


             Let me begin by saying it is a very good thing I am not a vegetarian. During orientation in Santiago, it was said that those of us placed in the South of Chile would never go hungry. They were correct. I have mentioned it before and I will say it again; often by the time one has digested a meal, the next one is being served. The one thing that keeps me constantly surprised is the amount of meat (and bread) that is consumed. The asado, an ever popular barbecue-like event, has taken on a new meaning for me. Arriving in the winter, I was offered a lot of chancho (pork) and vacuno (beef). Occasionally they would throw a chicken from the campo on the parilla for flavor. Now entering Spring/Summer, it seems as though any and every piece of livestock, mammal, or pet is game for eating.
            While chicken has always been my protein of choice, I pride myself on trying new things especially in a foreign country. The season has now brought about chivos (goat) , corderos (lamb), conejos (rabbit) and caballo (horse). Yes, horse. I explained to the friends and family that I will eat almost anything with the exception of rabbit and horse. The fear of rabbit was affirmed when I heard they literally go out in trucks in the middle of the night with a spotlight and shoot rabbits in the street. I have no grand animal rights convictions, moreover it is the fact that one day you see a rabbit on the walk home and the next day it is very likely you could be eating it. Similarly, horses are meant to be ridden and looked at from a distance in my opinion. I was offered and accepted a bite of what looked like a steak sandwich last week. The meat was tender and juicy. TWO DAYS LATER, I was informed of what I had eaten. This was not the first time that this had occurred.
Asado

Disco



Rio Quillem
            This past weekend I had the opportunity to visit the campo on our way to Rio Quillem, the beautiful river for some swimming and fishing. I was immediately obsessed with the adorable baby chickens. When we arrived back at the house after exploring the river, there was an ENTIRE cooked chicken ready for consumption.  Sunday afternoon we had a disco. Not to be confused with the pulsing music and flashing lights, dancing until 4am. A disco is a collection of all different kinds of meats grilled strategically together with wine and spices. Pork, chicken, longaniza and mussles made for a surprisingly delicious afternoon lunch. I am thankful that I am not a picky eater however I will be ready for a vegetable overdose upon my arrival in the USA.  15 days....

No comments:

Post a Comment