Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Reflexión



I am lucky to have been where I have been and lucky to be coming home again. 

I have been thinking for a few weeks as to how I want to sum up this experience in words. I am filled with mixed emotions because while I will be overjoyed to be reunited with my family and friends, this was the best thing I could have done at this point in my life. I want to reflect on how i have changed over these last 168 days. 

Before, I thought I could speak Spanish. Now I think and speak in Spanish (however littered with Chilenismos it may be, po). The Chileans are aware that they speak poorly and being told I speak Spanish well gave me great satisfaction. 

Before I anxiously arrived at least 15 minutes early for everything . This is not going to change completely as I value my punctuality. However, stressing about is no longer a priority. 

Before I would never consider taking a coach bus for more than a 90minute Milwaukee-Chicago commute. I have now clocked innumerable kilometers and about 75 hours on buses. It is not the most time efficient mode of transportation. The difference is all the parts of the country that one sees on the journey rather than two airport terminals as we are accustomed to when traveling in the U. S. Maybe I will take the Amtrak to California in the Spring....

Before I knew little to nothing about this country. I now have participated in the culture, learned about the problems it faces as a developing country and genuinely enjoyed my lifestyle. Juan admitted to trying to accustom to my way of living when I first arrived but realized that I came here for a new experience. For that, I am thankful. 

Before I was much more concerned with material possessions. Living here has showed me how to have nice things but actually use them. Set the table each meal with a tablecloth and placemats. I managed to be creative in order to live off of what I brought for six months. 

I could go on. The time I have spent away has given me time to reflect on what I want in life. It has made me realize I cannot live for anyone else but myself. I learned to enjoy each moment rather than wishing for the past or the future. I learned the impact that one person can have on students when willing to give them attention and affection. 

Everything happens for a reason. I have always tried to believe this and I have a lot of faith. There is a reason I didn't go to grad school right away. There is a reason I was sent to the tiny town of Galvarino. There is a reason the Castillo family to a risk and agreed to host a Gringa. There is a reason I met all of the wonderful people and saw many beautiful places. I tried new things and took risks. I ate things I never thought I would, often times unaware of what I was consuming. 

I mentioned in my first blog post that "I crave adventure, excitement, a challenge and a life changing experience." Mission. Accomplished. Thank you to everyone who got me through the tough days with messages, packages, tweets and prayers. I am especially grateful for the unconditional support of my parents who constantly  encourage  me and make things possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment