Friday, September 7, 2012

Homecoming Week: Chilean Edition







                Last week I was informed that we would begin celebrating the 34th anniversary of Liceo Gregorio Urrutia, the high school with which I am working. I was not exactly sure what to expect (as with many things here) but excited to share in some community celebration. I was also told the afternoons would be filled with competitions rather than classes. Also, I was advised that there would be two “alianzas” or alliances- Roja and Azul- divided by homerooms. My head teacher’s class belonged to the Alianza Azul but I chose to pledge allegiance to the Rojas.
Monday morning began with an opening ceremony at 11am. The director, Don Ruben, spoke and a few students received awards. The choir sang then two beautiful songs and the National Anthem (which I have yet to learn) and the #1 Cueca Couple entertained us with the national dance. Following the ceremony we indulged in empanadas and wine with some municipal bigwigs and fellow colleagues. The afternoon was filled with team challenges; spelling tests, math quiz, karaoke and a trivia quiz. One of the questions was the Republican Candidate for U.S. presidency. Saludos, Mitt Romney.
On Tuesday there were more competitions and activities for the students as the teacher began preparing for the dance routine. As we brainstormed, there was suggestion of me playing Olivia Newton John and my host teacher, Milton, would be John Travolta ala Grease Finale. I am happy to say that idea was later extinguished.

Wednesday the teams of professors spent the morning listening to and choreographing our dance to El Fotografo by Adrian y los Dados. [For those interested, here is the inspiration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytBjwYgyQ84] After lunch and a quick costume change, we all ventured to the municipal gymnasium for the talent show. Singing, stand-up and suggestive dances in boxer briefs by young men were all to be seen. The latter of which would not have happened during my high school’s homecoming week. The other professors chose a role-reversal, women dressed in mustaches and men in wigs and dresses provided much entertainment and competition. We followed with our somewhat dysfunctional dance but had a fantastic time. That evening was the Staff Dinner. Nelson cooked a lovely meal and we shared wine and conversed. I had my first FantSchopp. Yes, beer + Fanta. We danced around the cafeteria for awhile, at one point Sergio toasted Barack Obama, and when the Old Smuggler Whiskey came out with a 2.5 Liter bottle of Sprite and lemons, I decided to excuse myself and head for home.
Thursday morning was a day of physical activities including various futbol matches and paldin, a traditional Mapuche game involving hockey-like sticks and a ball played on a field. I visited the Stadium for the first time. It is a walk over a scenic yet shaky footbridge crossing the river. There were flocks of goats and chickens casually strolling around the field. Following was a float competition, more representative of my high school experience. Both were manipulations of ships, one including a dragon breathing “fire,” which was actually a fire extinguisher NOT being used for its intents and purposes. That evening was their version of the homecoming dance. The teachers, though assumed supervisory roles for the most part, danced for awhile and watched the crowning of king and queen.
Finally on Friday a few professors sent out for churrascos and chatted in the Teacher’s room for a few hours before closing out the week. It was a new experience for me to participate in activities as a teacher rather than a student. I embraced the celebration and am happy to have had the opportunity to participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment