Monday, September 3, 2012

Whoaa! We’re half way there...


12 weeks down, 12 weeks to go. It is hard to believe that I have been here 3 months already. I left just after Memorial Day and now, thanks to friends Facebook updates, I remember it is already Labor Day Weekend. In the last three months I have vastly improved my Spanish, even started thinking in Spanish after the first month. I have experienced new foods, people, and an educational system. I have attended baby showers, birthday parties, visited a newborn baby in the hospital on my birthday, and seen a traditional cueca dance competition. I have gone to mass in Spanish. I have been blessed by an aji pepper. I have traveled many hours in buses, increasing my tolerance for public transportation. I have been to Temuco more times than I can count, Liquine, Valparaíso, Vina del Mar, La Serena, Pucón.
My adoptive family has gone above and beyond to assure my comfort. We have excellent conversations over homemade bread and café de polvo and we watch television together every night. Antonia and I play games on my iPad and learn English at every opportunity. I have my laundry done and dried by the fire. They recently gave me a new desk and Chilean shabby chic bedding. The school has been very welcoming and I love talking to the other teachers. I feel like part of a great community.
There are many things I miss but am able to deal with. Internet access allows me connect easily with family and friends. Julietta and Bruno fill the lacking of my favorite (and only) left handed pup, Toby. Mate (strongly caffeinated Argentinean herbal tea) has minimized my coffee cravings. The one thing I REALLY could use is a Packer Football Sunday, or even better a trip to Titletown.
                Not always having the exact words I want to say while participating in conversations has forced me to slow down my thoughts and listen more closely. I am very grateful for the opportunities I have already had and look forward to experiencing even more. My hopes for the next second half of this experience is to further improve my Spanish , continue to embrace each day rather than yearning for what is not here, and attempting to learn and teach as much as possible in the next 12 weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment