Sunday, June 24, 2012

Galvarino




I have arrived. I boarded the "semi-cama" bus at 12:15am in Santiago clutching my belongings with a nervous excitement knowing I would be waking up in my home for the next six months. Drifting in and out of sleep to Chilean chatter and children shouting "Papi! Papi!" there was very little indication of our exact location but everyone else seemed to know just when they had to get off. All I knew was that I was scheduled to arrive at 9:15am. Terrified that I would miss the stop, I asked a few people if it was my town. Some were confused by my gringa-ness and some just in a hurry but they told me to stay on. Winding up a narrow road with mountains and lush green landscapes on both sides, I saw signs for Galvarino and many people making moves to get off. The bus stops and I see a woman in the passenger seat of a white Jeep smiling at me and I knew it was my host family there to pick me up. A man and young girl get out of the car, also. I greet all of them with un beso and he loads my luggage into the car. Juan, Tatiana and their nine year old daughter Antonia take me through the small town (stopping briefly at Juan's auto shop), up a steep hill and arrive at their home. Tatiana points to the nearest building and informs me that it is my school. It is literally 15 steps from the front door of the Castillo's home. They have many pets, including 2 dogs Bruno the Beethoven and Julieta a tiny poodle. The Castillo's also have a son my age but he studies and works in Santiago, coming home about once a month. He and Antonia study English but their parents do not know any. (I am glad my childrens books will be useful for helping Antonia). Juan told me that this is now my home too, and I became a bit emotional. When I asked why they offered to host a volunteer, Tatiana simply replied with a smile "I am without one child now, so I needed another." These people are wonderful. Last night we went to Juan's mother's home to celebrate Santa Juan, his saint day (or feast day as we know it as). The food was so rich and wonderful but I can tell that I may gain some weight judging by the amounts and types of food they eat. I miss my friends and family very much but feely extremely supported and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment