Thursday, June 28, 2012

Perdon el Paro

There has been buzz all over school (and the country) about educational reforms and requests. On Tuesday my head teacher suggested we would not have classes on Thursday because students and teachers both would go on what they call paro which is like a strike that is usually non-violent and agreed upon ahead of time. Wednesday all of the teachers and faculty had a meeting with the Director to discuss how to proceed. I listened and picked up what understanding I could through the quick chatter and unfamiliar concepts. There is a march in Temuco, the large city, and students and teachers go to protest certain things against the Ministry of Education. I was a bit uncomfortable but my head teacher supported me. He then said that it would be best if I came to school on Thursday at 9 am to see how things progressed. I obliged and when I arrived there were very few students at school and only a select group of teachers, most of whom were preparing to go to Temuco for the march. Milton and I graded papers and waited for awhile to see what the students would do. I was worried he would try to convince me to go. Going to Temuco was not in the cards for me. A young, new teacher from another country does not need to particapte in revolution the first week in another country. The teachers and students left and the school was quiet until some students began loudly playing drums and music and screaming. At this point, Milton suggested it would be good if we left. I was relieved. At 11am I went home to hang out for the rest of the day. Pretty harmless.

I found it interesting that both students and teachers protest things here. The students want better facilities, internet, books, etc while the teachers are asking for some of the same things in addition to higher salaries and benefits. I am learning a lot about other educational systems and how the government plays a role in society differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment